Regardless of profession, there is always someone who has more experience than us. There are always people who have spent significantly more time working, made more mistakes, had more success, and learned more lessons than we have. In some cases, they’ve been working in their field longer than we have been alive. These are the people we should reach out to for guidance and mentorship. Bill Gates, Kobe Bryant, Warren Buffett, Mark Zuckerberg, Oprah Winfrey, and many others have mentors who are responsible for helping them on their paths to success. Mentors are a valuable resource if you choose to reach out to them. My question to you is–are you going to tap into this resource? Below are a few reasons why you should consider finding a mentor:
1. They’ve been where we want to go, which means they can help us design a roadmap for our career.
2. They can help us avoid costly mistakes so we can save time and resources.
3. They can help reveal our blind spots.
4. They can help boost our networking ability.
5. The lessons they teach are often based off of their own real world experience as opposed to theory taught in class.
6. The wisdom they pass on can help us grow much faster than learning lessons that often take us years to learn on our own.
7. They are aware of trends and patterns that we often overlook
8. They can give us consistent feedback.